+351 916 897 724
What remains of the medieval fortification was built in the Gothic period, possibly in the 13th century. D. Afonso III granted the town a charter in 1258, who is credited with the late-medieval defensive project.
The placement of the keep next to a section of the wall is a strong indicator. In Portugal at war with Castile due to the proclamation of national independence, Chaves became the main stronghold of Trás-os-Montes, receiving strong reinforcement of its military structure. Between 1658 and 1662 the walls were rebuilt.
Bridge built in granite, in the Romanization period, and formed by eighteen arches, although currently only twelve are visible.
An integral part of the XVII Roman road, it connected Bracara Augusta (Braga) to Asturica (Astorga), by Aquae Flaviae (Chaves). On this bridge there are two commemorative columns from the time of the Roman emperors Titus Flavius Vespasian and Marco Ulpio Trajan.
It would have been during the reign of Trajan, in the year 104 AD, that the first of the two columns was completed, starting the construction of the bridge.
Considered the largest Roman medicinal spas on the Iberian Peninsula, this thermal complex, of a therapeutic nature, has peculiar characteristics and was in operation at least until the last quarter of the 20th century. IV A.D.
Lost in time for almost two thousand years, its prominence is given to it by the grandeur of the structures, in terms of their dimensions and architectural quality, and by the good state of conservation. This relevant built set is joined by a collection consisting of a set of artifacts, made of perishable materials, in a remarkable state of conservation, quality and diversity, with a pirgo standing out.
Installed in a building designed by the architect Álvaro Siza Vieira, it permanently exhibits works by the painter Nadir Afonso while also presenting other works of contemporary art in temporary exhibitions.
Among other spaces, whose access may be restricted, the building comprises a foyer, a library, an auditorium for 100 people, a bar and four exhibition rooms.
80 kilometers of footpaths to get to know the city
80 kilometers of footpaths to get to know the county The project “Visitation trails of the natural and cultural heritage of Chaves” consists of six small and medium-sized trails, in a total of about 80km of rural paths, which allow you to cross the Tâmega river, visit the House-Museum João Vieira, churches and sanctuaries, discover ancient smuggling routes, Roman roads, mills and railways.